Residential Fellow, Cairo Institute for Liberal Arts & Sciences (CILAS), Cairo-Egypt.
Visiting Fellow, Post-Doctoral Fellow, DFG Collaborative Research Centre (SFB/TRR 138), “Dynamics of Security.”
Founding Director, Shubra’s Archive for Research & Development (SARD), Cairo-Egypt.
Project Coordinator, MENA Prison Forum, Umam for Documentation & Research, Beirut & Institute for Foreign Relations (IFA), Lebanon & Germany.
Doctoral Fellow, International Graduate Centre for the Study of Culture (GCSC)- University of Gießen- Germany.
My current doctoral dissertation project has to do with victimhood narratives among Coptic Christian misfits in Egypt; in other words, those who are theologically and socially marginalized and negated from constituting such narratives. During my fellowship period at SFB 138, I seek to develop what I call prison and carceral studies of the Middle East and North Africa. The latter is combined to an initiative I currently work on with the Lebanese organization UMAM for Research & Documentation that is called MENA Prison Forum. Moreover, I am currently developing a proposal that tries to link victimhood narratives practiced by religious minorities in the MENA region with the history of black slavery and its current impact.
- Religious Minorities of the MENA Region
- History of Black Slavery and its current impact
- Histories and Cultures of Imprisonment, Torture, and Trauma in the MENA Region
- “Egyptian Dry Nights: Drinking and Selling Alcohol during Islamic Holidays” in Disputes on Alcohol in the Middle East, Elife Biçer-Deveci, Phillipe Bourmaud, and Nicolas Elias (eds.). London: Palgrave. Forthcoming: April 2021.
- “For the Sake of Marguirguis: Coptic Christian Charity as a Divine Community”, Endowments. Forthcoming: November 2020.
- “(Un-)Hiding the Samaritan’s Sexuality: Insights from Coptic Woman’s Notebook” in Sex in the Middle East and North Africa, L.L. Wynn & Angel M. Foster (eds.). Tennessee: Vanderbilt University Press. Forthcoming: December 2020/January 2021.
- “The Invisible Life-Worlds of a Coptic Christian”, Middle East Topics & Arguments. Vol. 13, December 2019, pp. 89-94.
- “The (Non-)Orthodox Tradition, The (Non-)Orthodox Everydayness (Review on Luehrmann, Sonja: Contemporary Orthodox Christian Spirituality in Practice. Indiana: Indiana University Press, 2018.]”. In: KULT_online 56 (November 2018).
- “A Minority at the Bar: Revisiting the Coptic Christian (In-) Visibility”, Social Compass 66 (3), June 2019, 366-382.
- “Doing Fieldwork in Revolutionary Times [Review on: Mittermaier, Amira: Giving to God: Islamic Charity in Revolutionary Times. Oakland, California: University of California Press, 2019.]”. In: KULT_online 60 (2019).
- “The Absence of Coptic Christians on the Rabaa Square”, Jadaliyya, 14 August 2018: http://jadaliyya.com/Details/37866/The-Absence-of-Coptic-Christians-on-the-Rabaa-Square
- “What is Missing from the Arab Spring? [Review on: Bayat, Asef: Revolution without Revolutionaries. Making Sense of the Arab Spring. Stanford: Stanford University Press, 2017.]”. In: KULT_online 53 (January 2018).
Cairo Institute for Liberal Arts & Sciences (CILAS), Cairo-Egypt, Fall 2020, “Villains & Misfits” & “Historical Consciousness”, (Two Courses).
University of Marburg, Marburg-Germany, Winter Semester 2019-2020, “Anthropology of/from the Margins”, (Course).
University of Giessen, Giessen-Germany, Summer Semester 2019, “Anthropology of the Middle East & North Africa”, (Course).
University of Giessen, Giessen-Germany, Summer Semester 2018, “Conceptualizing Sacred Spaces: Perspectives from the Study of Culture”, (Conference).
University of Giessen, Giessen-Germany, Summer Semester 2017, “Heroes & Martyrs: Contested Figures between Agency & Victimhood”, (Workshop).
Cairo Institute for Liberal Arts and Sciences (CILAS), Cairo-Egypt, Spring Semester 2016, “Egyptian Piety from the Margins”, (Course).
The American University in Cairo, Cairo-Egypt, Fall Semester 2015, “Ethnographic Research Methods”, (Course).
Awards, Fellowships, and Grants (Selected)
SFB/TRR 138 “Dynamics of Security”/University of Marburg, April 2020-December 2020, Writing-up Fellowship.
German Federal Government Excellence Initiative (DFG), October 2016- March 2020, Doctoral fellowship
Arab Council for Social Sciences (ACSS), October 2019- February 2020, Grant for the project “An Oral History of the 2011 Egyptian Uprisings” in Cairo, Egypt.
Columbia University Institute for Religion, Culture, and Public Life (IRCPL), October 2019, Grant to attend publication workshop in Oslo, Norway.
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, September 2019, Grant to attend “An Arab Citizen” study program in Washington DC, United States.
Missions chrétiennes et Sociétés au Moyen-Orient (MisSMO), June and September 2019, Fellow in Two-Parts Summer School “Sources and methods for a study of the missionary phenomenon in the Middle East (end 19th century- the Present)”, Rome (June) and Cairo (September).
European Network for Islamic Studies (ENIS), March 2019, Fellow in Spring School: “Patronage and Clientalism in the Middle East” in Granada, Spain.
Orient Institute Beirut (OIB)/Max Weber Foundation, January 2018 - December 2018, 12-month doctoral fellowship and residency at the German research center in Beirut, Lebanon.
French Institute for Oriental Archeology in Cairo, March 2018- October 2018. Award for the production of an ethnographic film "El Gameyaa" in Cairo, Egypt.
Central European University (CEU) Full Fellowship, September 2014- June 2015, Graduate fellowship for Master’s degree in Budapest, Hungary.
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), September 2011- January 2012, Undergraduate semester abroad at Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen (Institute of Political Science), Germany.